Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday's Adventures in Seoul


Located in the "middle" of downtown is this memorial made for Emperor Gojong's enthronement and adoption of the Imperial system.


This is a picture of the Gyeongbokgung Palace we visited today.


Self portrait of Rusty and I outside of the palace. :o)


Aren't the flowers and trees beautiful here? The monument you can see in the back of this picture is a Korean national treasure and was built in 1085!

Hello everyone! Today has been our most fun day, as far as sightseeing goes. We headed out early this morning and our first stop of the day was Kyobo Bookstore...it is like a Barnes and Nobles times 100. We picked up a baby book for Mia and a Korea coffee table book. We then headed to the Gyeongbokgung Palace in downtown Seoul. Unfortunately, the palace was closed to due some renovation but we were able to walk all around the grounds...it was pretty neat. On the way to the palace, we passed a memorial outside some of the government offices for the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings. They had pictures of all of the victims, candles lit, and huge banners for people to sign...we got to sign one. It was very touching to see how sorry they are that a native of their country caused such a tragedy. We then headed back to Namdaemun Market to pick up some souvenirs and hanboks (the traditional Korean dresses) for me and Mia. We were told by our social worker that Mia's foster mom is making both Huston and Mia hanboks, but we also wanted a bigger hanbok for Mia when she gets older and one that she could "play" around in...the one handmade by her foster mom will be for her first birthday and display only...too special for playtime, etc.

You will not believe this one! Rusty and I were in the subway and he pointed out a man that looked fairly familiar...Rusty then told me that is was the Korean man that sat right across the aisle from us on the Korean Air flight last Thursday. He had some unique features, so we are SURE it was him and he even acknowledged Rusty, like he couldn't believe it either. Here we are in this HUGE city, home of 11 million people, and we see the man from our flight in the subway in Seoul...that's crazy!?!

Tomorrow will be a very special and very emotional day for us as we will not only spend time with Mia again, but also with her birthmother and birthgrandmother. Please pray for all of us and that the meeting will bring peace and a sense of closure.

We love y'all! Thanks for the comments and most of all, the prayers. :o)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. Such a different landscape than here.
Huston loved hearing from you last night. He kept thinking of things he "forgot" to tell you so we encouraged him to make a list so he wouldn't forget when you get home. You may be in for a "lot" of stories.
He loved his video from you and watched it at least 5 times yesterday morning then again several times last night. Now he is telling me all about it as he pretty much has it memorized!
Miss you and looking forward to having the new and expanded Holt family home soon.
Love
Nana, Anpaw & Huston

Anonymous said...

I agree the pics are beautiful! I was unable to open Huston's video here at work, but opened it last night at home. It was so sweet to see your smiling faces and I sensed the emotions in Rusty's voice, which once again had me crying. I am pretty much a cry baby, but seeing the joy and excitement in your faces had me crying tears of joy....I am so happy for you all and can't wait to meet Mia....
God bless you!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

All the pictures are beautiful, especially the ones of Mia. I cannot believe how big she is! You might be taking all the clothes back she got. Ha! Ha!
We didn't get back from Nashville until about 11 last night. We had a great time! We prayed for you all at Stream multiple times.
I will be picking Huston up from Discovery School today. I can't wait to see him. I have to get him all wild before you get home and I don't have much time. Ha! Ha!
We can't wait to see you all and get to meet the new member of our family!
We love you guys!
Love,
DeAnn & family

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is so pretty there. I am so glad that you are getting to see and find out more about the Korean heritage.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with you as you will be meeting with the birth family and as your trip is nearing its end. Can you believe that in 1 day (Korean time of course) you will be getting ready to come home with your new daughter?!?!?! How awesome! I know you are both very excited and can not wait to see you all together again.
Love,
Stu, Amy, Kimber, and Jayden

Anonymous said...

Holts

I just got to read through the whole blog you have going. What an adventure......and you get to come home with the prize!

I really am so happy for you. I know Mia is getting the best home and family possible. I also know that you are feeling so blessed right now.

God is good! And Janet and I rejoice with your family. We look forward to meeting the "new" Holt.

Love you,

Roy & Janet

Anonymous said...

Wow, some more beautiful pictures. I have been praying for you both for this special meeting on Wed. to go smoothly, for you to be at peace from the meeting and I know that they will immediately fall in love with you both and that will give them peace knowing that Mia will be showered with love and care.
Papa came over on Monday and I showed him all of the pictures of you and Mia and he just grinned. Hopefully he will be with me on Thursday.
Love, MiMi & family

Anonymous said...

Rusty,

Joel sent me the link to the blog that your wife is updating about your wonderful journey. I just finished “catching up” on all of them and even though it is not very "manly", I have to say that I had tears several times. Mia certainly is a cutie and I am sure she will be a blessing to your family.

All of you will be in my prayers as your journey continues.

God bless,

Jerry

Anonymous said...

Your trip and journey seems amazing. The other day while putting up some books in the school library, I came across a book I thought you might like. It is called the “Korean Cinderella” by Shirley Climo. The Koreans have about 10 different Cinderella stories and this is just one of them. I was just thinking of some stories that Mia could have that link her back to her native land. Well, I hope the three of you make it back home safely. I know Huston will be glad to see you.


Love,
Kelli